Old News

<< 2003.05.30 >>
YAY! 0.8 released!

New features for 0.8:
  • Filenames only use first 3 letters of driver (DOS safe)
  • Old driver/palettes are auto-brightened
  • PCX Image file load and save
  • Capable of multiple image formats supported for the future
  • Tilemap import and export
  • -dmp command line option
  • Improved general runtime output
Bugfixes for 0.8:
  • 15 5 color photoshop files load properly now.
  • 05 arbitrary character widths are valid now
  • 06 If only -ini selected, driver name is not "unknown" anymore
  • 10 loads in ROMs properly for decoding now under MS-DOS
  • -- isNeeded was flawed, so all roms are now "needed" for decoding


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.04.17 >>
Tracking down bugs, busy with other projects, making little advances here and there.

I just added in better checkerboard file support, about to add in tilemap support (for 0.10 probably). In about a week, once the DOS port becomes stable, I'll probably release 0.8, which is significantly improved over 0.6.



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.30 >>
I just released 0.6. It adds one bugfix, one modification to the checkerboard file, and support for MS-DOS builds. Also on this page, you'll now find some binary distributions down below as well. YAY!

One more thing; as far as I can see, there are only 3 people who look at this, and two of them are me. If you use Turaco (any version), drop me an email... join the Turaco Yahoo Group . .. something... Please?



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.29 >>
I just set up a Turaco Yahoo Group for updates, support discussion, graphics bank swapping and such!


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.19 >>
There are now some free starter banks available over here. I'll make a better page for these later. These should work well as a drop in replacement for Pac-Man (for example).


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.18 >>
I just released version 0.4! It works well for at least the pac-man driver. heh. I'll put up some howto's later on for using the tool. I squashed all of the bugs I've found so far, yanked out the drivers into a different CVS tree/distribution, so the distributions are seperate.

Downloads are near the bottom of this page.

Next up is to integrate in the old driver information into the current set of drivers, as well as release a bunch of converted DOS fonts for use in your games or hacks. :D

I am not including IHX output. If you need that for your ROM burner, I'm sure you can find a tool that will convert binary files into IHX files. Sorry about that.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.17 >>
Last night, I got the full-circuit of encoding and decoding all working. I noticed that I had some pretty substantial flaws in my design... or at least in the command line options and selecting of filenames and such. I'll be fixing it all tonight, since I've come up with a good replacement for the current command arguments.

I also got the MAME dumper (mostly) working. It generated 3036 drivers. None of them have proper palettes migrated over from Turaco Classic yet. They also have some issues due to the hacked way that MAME defines some things. The result is that games that work with the old drivers (Tron, etc) no longer work. I'll eventually write a fixer that merges the old drivers with the new and fixes all of these glitches, but not yet.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.13 (b) >>
I just grabbed the latest XMAME source (0.65) and am currently building it on my Blade 1000. Once I get it built a second time (with the debugger turned on, might as well be useful with it too) I'll dump out new game drivers from it, along with proper palettes. I'll use a driver format that is an extended version of the old version, so that these can still be used with Turaco or AGE if you so desire. It's gonna take a while though, due to not being familair with MAME source anymore. (Thankfully... my head would explode if I had to deal with MAME source often.

I also need a new logo soon. I'll throw together something chock full of pixelly goodness.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.13 >>
Graphics exporting is working! Two exports of the two banks of Pac-Man produced these two images:




There's also a "Color Key" file which defines the colors and ordering of the colors for importing later. It's basically another image which is one pixel wide by (the number of colors) pixels tall. Here's an example, enlarged a bit:


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.10 >>
The new codebase now has in it:
  • PPM saver [ from the 'sp' project ]
  • PPM loader [ from the 'sp' project ]
  • INI reader [ new code ]
  • driver tree searcher
  • ARGV parser
  • INI parser
  • driver reader (using INI stuff)
what this means is that you can specify a driver on the command line, it finds it in the driver directory tree, reads in the file (.ini file) then parses it into an internal driver structure. The PPM code is pretty much dormant at this point.

Next up is to read in a graphics rom, decode it into memory, then save it out to a PPM file. In order to do this, I have to re-write the (en/de)coding routines from Turaco. :D


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< 2003.03.07 >>
Initial version of this page.
Today, the primary build work on Turaco CL has started. I have lots of plans for features and such. It will rock.




[an error occurred while processing this directive]