Scott's iMovie Plugins
n e w s
--==[ 2003 July 25 ]==--
I just started up a Yahoo Group for iMovie/Final Cut plugin development. If you're into hacking
on plugins, I highly suggest you join. :D
I'll be FINALLY answering all of the questions in my "iMovie inbox" shortly as well, sending the answers to the yahoo group.
All of the source to my plugins (Code Warrior 8/plugin SDK 1.0) is now
availble in the download section of this web
--==[ 2003 June 25 ]==--
As of June 25, 2003, Apple has released a new version (2.0) of their
iMovie Plugin SDK!
The good news:
The bad news:
- It no longer requires the first version of Code Warrior 8 to build. (the later releases of CW 8 don't build Carbon binaries anymore, so you can't build iMovie plugins with it. How's that for confusing?)
- It comes with the same great example plugins as 1.0.
- It's free. (duh.)
(yes, I know that's three bullet items for the same information.)
- It builds Cocoa plugins, so they won't work on iMovie 2, or under OS 9
anymore. I'm fine with losing OS 9, but iMovie 3 is... sub-par for Apple...
- Plugins won't work in iMovie 2.
- The plugins you make with it won't work in iMovie 2.
d o w n l o a d
Note: These plugins require iMovie 2.1.2 or newer for OS X.
They should work under 2.1, but many people have had problems with 2.1.
Yes. They are free! Feel free to buy me something from my
Amazon wish list if you want to, but don't feel
bad if you don't. :)
Effects Pack 1 v1.3
(96kb Stuffit file)
released 2003 Feb 16
This pack contains:
Examples on what some of these look like can be found
on the example page.
If you have either of my older two plugin packs, trash them and
replace them with this single pack. Many things are fixed or
enhanced from that version.
The 2003-Feb-04 update contains a fixed version of the 4:3 to and from 16:9
plugin that lets you choose field priority and other fun things like that.
- Color Mangler (color controls) UPDATED FOR 1.3!
- Eric The Plugin (4:3 to and from 16:9) UPDATED FOR 1.3!
- Funky Monkey (solarization)
- Monkey Brewster (lithograph and posterization)
- Rhesus Pieces (pixelizing, anonymizer)
- Sleepy Time (dream mist)
- The Matrix (matrix convolutions)
- Ye Olde TV (scanlines, etc)
Effects Pack 2 v1.0
(62kb Stuffit file)
released 2003 Feb 04
This pack contains:
Examples are not online yet. sorry.
- Auto Saturation (over, negative and automatic saturation)
- Blueprint (blueprints and other related color mistakes)
- Color Slide (move R,G,B around independantly of eachother)
- False Color (turns the image into a color-cycling image)
- HV Hold (adjust horiz,vert hold and position)
Effects Source v1.0
Effects Plugin Source Code
(1.3mb Apple Disk Image file)
released 2003 Jul 25
This archive requires Code Warrior 8(Carbon) as well as the Apple
iMovie SDK version 1.x (not the new 2.x!) to build these.
YES, these are FREE! Enjoy!
- Source to all of the plugins in packs 1 and 2
- Source to two incomplete plugins which don't quite work right
What? Are these really free?
Yes. I personally believe that there is not enough Mac software out
there that is free. Sure, there's a lot of stuff that costs $30-$3000,
but free? Nah! On top of that, these were developed with an
educational version of CodeWarrior8, which prohibits me from selling
these anyway... not that I would.
But, here's the drawback; You have to deal with stupid names like
"Monkey Brewster", and the possibilty that my plugins might be a little
slower or perhaps not look as nice as some costly plugins. I think
they look fine, and generally, I've tried to do as many speedup
modifications as possible to make them as speedy as possible.
If you have any problems with them, suggestions for new ones, or just
want to say thanks, feel free to send me mail and tell me so.
MORE TO COME SOON!
- PixelVision Pack
- Simulates the effect of the
(4:3 and 16:9 safe)
- Frame Rate Dropper. (drops 30/25fps down to 15/12.5fps or more)
- Image zoomer to get rid of the PXL border from your PXL footage
t e c h n i c a l
In a nutshell, these were built using
iMovie Plug-in SDK
source code as a starting point.
The development and testing environment are both
Mac OS X "Jaguar" 10.2.3 running
Metrowerks CodeWarrior 8 educational
iMovie 2.1.2 and 3.0.1.
I can supply a .dmg containing my source tree/iMovie SDK if anyone wants to
poke around it. I'd rather you didn't sell my works. If you make any changes,
I'd appreciate them thrown back to me. :)
l i n k
Dan Slagle's Unoffical iMovie FAQ
his list of plugin sites