The thought is to hook up an arduino to monitor various things around the house.
The primary things would be things that are "out of sight" in the basement. For example
- Washer/Dryer usage - notifications for when the machines are being used/are done
- Floor water sensor - detect when there are water/drainage issues
But on top of this, the old security system can be worked in as additional sensors to detect if doors are left open and such
Ways this can be hooked up to the outside world are:
- Ethernet shield, hooked up through the house network. Would provide a simple webpage containing color coded status of everything.
- Ethernet Arduino http://www.freetronics.com/products/etherten#.T-3R2Bee75w
- USB cable hooked up to a laptop. This would allow it to be a bit more powerful, send emails, etc, and will cost less to build, but cost more to run power-wise.
- Water Flooding: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251842974
- Laundry sensors: http://www.laundryview.com/faqs.php
- Security System PIR motion detectors: seem to be 12v, output 12v when sensing
- Security System switches: just hook up as switches